Monday, June 27, 2016

Crazy Cat Lady: Achievement Unlocked

I went to the local shelter to arrange for Moonshine, my youngest cat, to be neutered, and while I was there I made the mistake of going out to the "cat building", i.e., the animal shelter's garage. It's kitten season, so they were packed to the rafters with mamas and babies and unfortunate adult cats who don't stand much of a chance next to all those fluffy itty-bitties. Near the door, there was a petite medium-haired black cat named Luna. While I have wanted another girl cat for a while, I had thought I'd get another tortoise-calico...but Luna was sponsored for adoption for a single reason: black cats rarely get adopted. Often, when they are, they come right back to the shelter as soon as the man of the house sets his superstitious eyes on them.

It was the day before "down day". As I was standing there, with Luna desperately vying for my attention, the animal control officers from a neighboring county arrived with several dogs (including a particularly violent Rottweiler) and ten cats. The cat building has several kennels in it, provided by the Humane Society of the United States following the surrender of over a hundred cats by a single person about a year and a half ago- the source of Wysiwyg, my brown tabby- but each one held multiple cats or a mother with kittens. There was nowhere to put the ten new cats and kittens...which meant someone would be 'euthed for space'.

The black cats had been there longest. I asked if I could borrow a crate, and thus Luna joined my family of pets. I used to joke that I had the Crazy Cat Lady Starter Kit with my three cats, but now I have crossed over into plain old Crazy Cat Lady with Luna, who makes four.

Luna has her opinion on things. She's not really a dog person. She doesn't care much for my ancient Siamese. Her favorite place is under the blanket chest or the bed, and she's a talker when she feels like it. She also vented her spleen by emptying her colon on my bed twice the day she was spayed- I believe this was meant to convey that she was pretty displeased about same. I asked her politely to not do that again while I was away at camp, and what do you know? She didn't. She'll ask for me to pick her up and hold her once in a while. She's only been there for a couple of weeks, so it's going to take some time. Hopefully she will learn to think of it as home.

And yes, I know, I have two cats with lunar names, and Luna was probably named for Sailor Moon's cat...

No comments: