Thursday, February 12, 2015

Car-buying and Other Traumas

On the way back from my weekend visit to the paterfamilias, my dashboard decided to light up like the proverbial Christmas tree. I white-knuckled it the sixty miles back to my house and immediately made an appointment via the dealership's web app for the earliest available time, which turned out to be on Wednesday. I didn't drive a lot during the intervening couple of days.

It hadn't been exactly a wonderful weekend. My best friend underwent emergency surgery in North Carolina on Saturday morning. (As it turned out, she felt well enough post-op to go to work on Monday.) My most ancient cat decided it was his right to pee in my bed every day last week, so I've washed the bedding every day as well, and then, yay, three thousand dollars' worth of repairs already into the Dogmobile since New Year's Day, it turned out that the two separate exhaust systems on the Subaru decided to die simultaneously.

I don't know what caused it, but the $3500 repair quote was just over my limit. Come to find out, too, when it was appraised for the trade, the differential was also going out...another several thousand dollars' worth of repairs. I'd already latched onto a salesman and was investigating what Subaru currently has on offer...and that just clinched it.

My new car is being delivered on Saturday or Monday.

The weird thing is that I got choked up about it, right at the end of the contract stuff. I forked over some money from my mother's estate as the down payment, and it suddenly hit me that Mom will never see this car. She's helping pay for it, in absentia, but she liked the Dogmobile. She'd ridden in it. It's the last car I'll ever have in which she was a passenger at some point. It's things like these that sneak up on you when you're not expecting it. This is a "First" that I never anticipated.

Anyway, now I have to clean out the Dogmobile and do other stuff like call my insurance company, et cetera. It's not how I wanted to buy my next car, but it is what it is. At least I'm not taking delivery on Friday the 13th.

No comments: