Monday, August 26, 2013

There and Back Again

After work today, I'm off to the Big City to take my mother to her orthopedic surgeon. I'll be back home for a couple of days and then return to take her to the oncologist. It's not really surprising that I've put nearly 11,000 miles on the Dogmobile since May. Each trip to the city is about 350 miles there and back, and then there are the interstitial trips when I go to Smalltownland to see my dad and do things around the house for him.

This saga began on June 23rd when Mom fell and broke her leg, and while she was in the hospital, she was diagnosed with cancer as well. As of this writing, I've been pinballing between my house and the city as much as two or three times per week.

On about four separate occasions, I've dragged Hopkins to improvisational comedy shows featuring my friend and sort-of-like-a-godson Stefan. Other than going to see "The Great Gatsby" with Stefan, his roommate, and younger brother during one of my longer stints in the city, that's pretty much been my only recreation for several months. Normally I trail off to see my best friend in North Carolina, but it's five hours away. I can't do that with Mom in this kind of shape. She lost her mother quite suddenly a few years ago, so I know she understands...but I do miss seeing her.

At the end of the week, I'll pack Mom up and bring her home from her rehab stay in the nursing home. We still don't know how we're going to manage, but manage we will. Everything else will have to wait.

No comments: