Friday, May 17, 2013

An Unbearable Quickness of Seeing

With the release of Star Trek: Into Darkness, I've been dealing with one of the more unusual aspects of my Asperger's: the fact that my brain processes images at a higher rate of speed. Quick-cut edits are hard for me to follow, but the real kicker is that 3D gives me migraines for several days.

My first issue with the fast-action style happened when I went to see the movie adaptation of the video game Mortal Kombat. I had a migraine coming on, but we were visiting my then-fiance's hometown. His best friend wanted to see that movie, so off we went. Less than twenty minutes in, I rushed out to the ladies' room, threw up, and spent the remainder of the evening in the lobby waiting for the others. That had never happened before.

When TRON: Legacy  came out, my best friend, her husband and I decided to see it in 3D. I didn't even consider the possibility that there might be a problem. From that experience, I learned that if I don't have a migraine beforehand, I'll get one from 3D because of the way the brain processes the images. I guess I'm lucky that it didn't result in a seizure of some sort.

Flash forward to now: I am a perennial Star Trek junkie. Although the new reboot is not strictly canon, I kinda like Zachary Quinto, although being a Spock fan, the whole "Spock-and-Uhura relationship thingie" strums on my nerves a bit. I'm going to to see it, but herein lies the rub: while the projection is solid at my local theater, the sound is marginal- I always find myself wishing they'd just crank the crap out of it and let 'er rip, and had a very disappointing experience with Rock of Ages... hello, ROCK of Ages, not "Easy Listening of Ages", but I digress.

In order to get higher-quality sound, I'd have to travel to the city, pay more, and fight larger crowds (yuck)...but the nearest city with good movie sound is only showing it in 3D.

Booooo, HISSSSSSSS.

I guess I'm just going to deal with what we jokingly called SuperMono back in the Olden Days. Stereo sound had been introduced while I was in junior high, but our local two-screen (Oooooo, ohhhh, AAAAHHHH) cinema didn't have it. Their theory was, as previously mentioned, crank it up and let 'er rip, the louder the better. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I saw Windtalkers there, and the initial landing scene was deafening not to mention really, really gruesome; I don't think I've ever seen a disembodied human ear go flying past on the screen with such accuracy and realism before or since.

See y'all at the movies!

No comments: