Monday, February 25, 2013

Sometimes, You Just Know

My ex-fiance and his new bride engaged in a public brawl via Facebook the other night. Two things leaped readily to mind when I read it: that I was glad I hadn't married him and also that he has not changed a bit. Flaming infantile tantrums were his wheelhouse back when we were together, which, after fighting back briefly with equal vigor in my early twenties, I eventually reached a sort of zen state in which I'd just shoot him a disdainful look and turn away until he shut up and calmed down.

It was tiresome with a capital "t".

Every once in a very great while, we are treated to a window on a situation that proves no matter how painful something was at the time, it was really, truly for the best. Reading the two-sided tantrum between married "adults" taking place in a public online forum made my stomach churn. It also screamed at me in bold, red, foot-high letters, "AREN'T YOU GLAD IT'S NOT YOU?!!?"

It's not 'quitting' to walk away; it's mature and sane. Drama like that is tacky, cheap, and juvenile. Really, if you must throw a hissy fit, do it where no one can see you...because if you're older than four, you'll only look like a fool.

No comments: