Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wait Five Minutes and It Will Change

I have desk duty this weekend in the Learning Commons. We have a typically schizophrenic Kentucky weather prediction: it might rain, or it might snow, or both...or possibly neither. At any rate, I opened up a half hour ago and there are exactly two students here.

Weather in my home state is unpredictable. We had mild, springlike weather one day last week, followed immediately by sub-freezing temperatures with lacerating winds the next. It's snowed on prom night several times (you folks up North are thinking, "So what?"), but prom at my high school is in April. Trust me, one of the times this happened was the night of my senior prom- I lost one of the ornamental clips off of my shoe while running to get inside; cold wind whipping up under a hooped skirt is pretty unpleasant. Since it falls around Easter, yes, it's snowed on Easter a few times, too.

My sophomore year of college, my roommate decided to attend the Derby with some of her sorority sisters. Her folks came down from Ohio to move her things back home, and she sent all of her long-sleeved clothing, sweaters, and sweatshirts back with them. She wore shorts and a t-shirt to the race, which is on the first Saturday in May, and was forced to purchase an expensive commemorative sweatshirt when it began to snow.

We are ready for the winter weather to be over around here. The college has had several snow days since the semester started, and everybody's a bit tired of rushing to the store for the Holy Trinity of snowbound necessities in the South: milk, bread, and toilet paper. I'm old enough, however, to remember the two consecutive winters during my childhood when we had true blizzard conditions resulting in a solid month of school closures. We went on Saturdays and well into June to make up the required days, which was pretty bad considering that my elementary school was built in the 1940s and had no air conditioning.

I'm sitting here eyeing the grey clouds moving toward campus. They're too dark for snow, so I guess we're going to start with rain, and we'll see where the day takes us. Whoo. Hoo. I'm telling you, Phil, you'd better not have lied to us about that shadow, because we have only one use for your ilk around here...and it's not meteorology.

1 comment:

Farmchick said...

I think my favorite small town saying about winter is, "It's too cold to snow". Growing up in North Dakota I do know that it is never too cold to snow. Although we didn't get snow last night, it was bitterly cold this morning when we stopped at an auction near our farm. The wind ended up blowing down one of the tent.

BTW...the picture of my daughter by the ham sign is at out local Allendale Grocery, formely known as the E&M Grocery.