Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Kink in the Works

About five and a half years ago, I had weight loss surgery- I have a LapBand. For a long time, I had relatively few complications, although eating the 'wrong' foods (fibrous or dry meats, some vegetables) resulted in what WLS patients refer to as 'PB' ("productive burp", food coming up that never made it past the band), 'sliming' (mucous production related to PBing), and sometimes, actual vomiting.

In the last year, a new protocol requiring an annual upper GI series for WLS patients has been issued, so off to the radiology center I went just before Christmas. Yesterday, I got my results:

I have both a hiatal hernia and GERD.

First of all, I developed peptic ulcers my junior year of high school. In the Dark Ages before they expelled students for having an aspirin on their person, I carried a pharmaceutical stock bottle of Tagamet in my purse, along with a similar giant bottle of Motrin 800 for my arthritis. The ulcers returned (no surprise here) in grad school. Given that I've had digestive acid issues since I was about sixteen, GERD isn't much of a shock. The hernia's a different story.

The more I research this, the more I'm discovering about what happens to Bandsters who get hiatal hernias...and, quelle horreur, some of them end up having their bands removed. If that's necessary in my case, well, I guess I'm going to convert to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass if my insurance will cover it. Can you tell I'm excited? Meh.

The only bright spot in this is that good ol' Weird Al has this one covered from back in the day, with his James Brown parody, "Living With a Hernia". Ow.

1 comment:

Farmchick said...

You be careful and do take care!