Friday, December 24, 2010

I (heart) My Bathroom

My mother designed the Chez herself, and as a particularly tall woman for her era (5'10", at a time when most women were 5'3" or shorter), she made one decision for which I have always been thankful:

In the 'big bathroom', which is huge in comparison to most bathrooms prior to the 1990s, when they took on epic scale in new home construction, there is an extra-long bathtub...and it has a sloped reclining surface at the back end. Mom has a bad back, and her logic was that in the days before in-home Jacuzzi bathtubs and so forth, she could soak in a hot bath.

I have a slight sciatic nerve pinch that plays up after I walk or stand on hard surfaces for long periods of time. Last night, I had to make Mom's last-minute WalMart run amongst the frantic Christmas crowds. By the time I got back to Chez Airedaleparent, my left hip was throbbing- two hours of marching around Wally World didn't do me any favors.

It was around 11:00 by the time we got all of the groceries stored, but I dragged myself up and ran a tubful of hot water anyway. Today, my sister and brother-in-law will arrive and I won't have a moment's downtime between the gift wrapping and cooking for the next seventy-two hours. It was my last chance to commune, uninterrupted, with my favorite bathtub.

If I am ever lucky enough to own a home, I'll definitely look into installing a tub like it. The old standard 1950s number in my current house is one of the most uncomfortable bathtubs in the world, leading to its primary use as a shower. Of all the things in the Chez, it's probably the cleverest fixture here...

1 comment:

Farmchick said...

Nothing like a good bathtub in life! Merry Christmas to you and your family.