Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Life is Real, Life is Earnest

I'm going to keep this one short.

I've mentioned previously that I work with a camp for children affected by HIV/AIDS. Not all of them are HIV+, but some are. When you are involved with a camp for children with medical issues, you have to be emotionally prepared for the fact that not all of them will reach their majority.

One of the girls I've known since she was very small died on Sunday. I received word today. She was fourteen. She was a freshman in high school. She will never go to a prom. She will never get married. She will never have children. All of those things are denied to her. She was still a child.

Tell the people that you care about that you love them, because the day will come when you can't. Show them that you care while you still have time. Life is a gift, and longevity is a goal...but it's not a guarantee.

No comments: