Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Refuge...

Last week was fairly arduous, especially the weekend. I didn't sleep much Sunday night, and consequently was exhausted Monday. It's allergy season, too, so I don't feel too great, either...and adding insult to injury, I got into a heated exchange over something ridiculous late Monday night that left me annoyed and angry with one of my friends. What a great way to try to get some rest, right?

One of the few things I managed to do Sunday, before I collapsed into a heap in my bed, was strip and re-make it. This involves turning the mattress, which isn't easy for a couple of reasons: I live alone and the bed is in a corner, but still, I manage. Since the weather is changing, it was also time to pile on comforters and blankets.

Although my uncle had a custom bedding shop in his interior design firm and provided me with a beautiful bedroom ensemble when I was a child, I've never been much on buying matching bedding sets. My bed is an eclectic jumble of blankets, comforters, duvets, high thread-count sheets and so forth, assembled for maximum comfort. Since I'm one of these people who sometimes weeps from exhaustion, the bed is literally set up this way so I can burrow down and hide. From what or whom is questionable, as it's just me, two Airedales, and three cats, but it's still my hiding place. Things were pretty bad last night; the cats intuited it and I awoke this morning with the Siamese guarding me and the tortoise cat sleeping on my shoulder. One Airedale slept in the floor by the bed, while the other was curled up on the couch just outside the bedroom door.

It was cold enough, too, that I brought out the down blanket for the first time. When my tonsils were removed a few years ago, I became cold-natured for the first time in my life. It's still early autumn here, yet I am already wearing polar fleece sweatshirts and using the box heater in my office. I shudder to think what lies ahead as colder weather approaches...

If there's no other consoling embrace available, I'll just drag my Kindle into the bedroom and crawl in between the blankets. It's a Scarlett O'Hara kind of thing...just sleep it off in my soft pile of bedding because tomorrow is another day.

No comments: