Wednesday, October 6, 2010

And it's been ten years...

In a few days, my best friend and her husband will celebrate their tenth anniversary. I'm glad to say that I was Maid of Honor in the pivotal event. It doesn't seem like it's been quite that long.

Strangely enough, my parents, especially my father, who don't readily take up with people, took an immediate liking to her husband. They'll actually let him in the house at Christmas (that sounds strange, but one of the canonical rules at Chez Airedaleparent regards the non-admittance of those not related by blood or marriage on Christmas Day). They talk to him on the phone. My father lets him drink his beer. It's a big deal.

I've also mused on more than one occasion that I think she might've gotten the last good one.

I wonder, too, if we don't all overestimate ourselves in the Great Pair-Off. Time and again, I've seen really decent girls suffer silently while the guys who should like them take off in hot pursuit of skeevy little nitwits. Being who I am (the Quintessential Gal Pal), I get to hear about it when the nitwits turn out to be, well, nitwits, and the guy has fallen on his face yet again. The decent girls are still there on the sidelines, ripping themselves to shreds over imaginary faults when often the only thing "wrong" is that they're just not trashy enough. It's not a one-way street, either, but wouldn't it be great if we could pair off the decent girls with guys who would respect them and vice-versa...and just leave the rest to fend for themselves?

Anyway, I have a headache again, am packing/moving my office, and have a thousand things I need to get done. If anybody has the magic answer, drop me a line. On this one, I'm fresh out.

No comments: