Monday, August 9, 2010

Self-Rescuing Princess: Rebooted

I'm also not entirely sure what it is, a bad planetary alignment (if you believe in that kind of thing), the changing seasons, the overly hot weather- whatever the cause, breakups are making the rounds at the moment. I'm in pretty good company. Overall, yes, I'm upset. My stress is through the roof. I'm just at a point in my life that if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't- well, I don't think anyone relishes being alone, but I'll probably survive.

One of the reasons I have the education that I do is because my father firmly believed that I'd never find anyone to marry. When my sister got married a few years ago, he actually informed a tableful of his medical school classmates at the reception that he'd "never have to go through this again", i.e., I would never marry, absolving him of participation in another wedding. I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't entertained the notion out of pure spite more than once...but I'm not reckless enough to follow through on it. Even with the current divorce statistics, I'm not of the school that believes in 'starter marriages' or calling it quits over trivial matters, ergo I would never marry anyone without thoroughly considering the consequences.

So I'm sitting here in my living room with an Airedale in my lap and another at my feet, without a clue about what the future holds for me romantically, if anything (I'm also simply too tired to worry about it). At any rate, anybody who's not speaking up for himself had better do it presently, because we're just not getting any younger...as was pointed out on the occasion of my most recent birthday. Carpe diem, because tempus fugit more quickly than we seem to register.

No comments: